My task for this week, is to make STRUDEL. I have a fascination with making meals I see in movies. For example, I am sure you would love to know, that my wedding was based off the movie “Steel Magnolias”. Everything except the bleeding Armadillo grooms cake, was present.
Here is this weeks venture! Gluten Free, and still sticks with my “movie food” theme.
Sound of music – Strudel From the website http://thehealthyapple.com/2011/10/28/gluten-free-yankee-candle-apple-strudel/#comment-8614
Makes 8 Strudels
- 8 large organic McIntosh apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary, very finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon, plus more for topping
- 1/4 tsp. all-spice
- 1 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/3 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh organic orange zest
- 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed organic orange juice
- 1/4 tsp. gluten-free almond extract
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a baking dish with nonstick baking spray. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. sugar and rosemary. Add sliced apples; spread evenly.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, sea salt and orange zest. Add orange juice, almond extract and egg; mix well to combine and form a mealy texture. Transfer mixture on top of apples in the baking dish. Sprinkle with additional ground cinnamon.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.